When the temperature drops below zero and the earth is veiled in white, we can all agree that nothing quite beats the feeling of basking
BED BUG CONTROL YOU CAN TRUST
Terminix Canada has bed bug control you can trust. We’ll put our chemical and stream treatments to work so you can sleep better in a safe and healthy bed.
Bed Bug Identification
Size: 4 to 5 mm long (adults).
Colour: Reddish-brown with a darker abdomen if blood has been digested.
Description: Miniscule insects with an oval shaped flat body, two antennae and six legs.
Scientific Name: Cimex Lectularius.
Did You Know?
Bed bug populations can double about once every 16 days.
Bed Bug Biology
Bed bugs undergo a gradual metamorphosis. Their three life stages are egg, nymph and adult. Nymphs are a smaller version of the adult. The size of bed bugs ranges from 2.5 mm in infancy to around 4.5 mm in adulthood.
Identifying bed bugs relies on recognizing their oval shape, length, and reddish brown colour. While usually flat, the size of bed bugs increases as they drink blood. When this occurs, they grow longer and fuller in shape. Identifying bed bugs can be done by looking for reddish-brown stains or eggs on your bed sheets.
Bed Bug Behaviour, Diet, Habitat and Life Cycle
Bed bugs hide in cracks and crevices during the day, leaving harbourage areas at night to feed on hosts. The blood meal takes about three to 10 minutes to complete, and usually takes place unknowingly. After feeding, the bed bug bite may become inflamed and itchy on the host.
The typical bed bug lifespan is four to six months, however they can live as long as five years and go months without feeding. In a single female bed bug lifespan, they can lay anywhere between 200 to 500 eggs, which is one to five a day. The eggs hatch in the span of about seven days, and molts five times, taking a blood meal between each molt. Development time from egg to adult takes roughly 21 days.
Wondering How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs?
If you’d like to see if you could control the problem yourself first, these strategies are helpful but remember they are only temporary solutions.
- Remove any clutter from your home, especially in areas where you strongly suspect bed bugs.
- Move your bed or mattress away from walls and other furniture.
- Vacuum every part of your home, every day but you must empty the vacuum bag immediately after cleaning an infested area of your home. Otherwise, you’re more likely to spread bed bug infestations than contain them.
- Wash all bedding and clothing in hot water, and then in a hot dryer for at least 30 minutes. You can also consider mattress and box spring covers. Make sure to use duct tape over the zippers.
- Seal up cracks, crevices, and openings like pipes or wiring.
Terminix Canada Bed Bug Exterminators Can Help You
Our bed bug control service is the best and safest way to rid your home of bed bugs for good.
Latest Terminix Pest Control Blogs
Coast To Coast Protection
Find your nearest local pest control expert today. With more than 30 branches across 10 Canadian provinces, you can count on Terminix Canada.